Stanford, Calif.-- In a season of firsts, the San José State beach volleyball team continued the trend on Thursday by recording a 4-1 win at Stanford, thus marking the first program win over the Cardinal in school history.
The two teams met for the second time this season at the Stanford Beach Volleyball Complex after the Cardinal won the first meeting, 3-2, on March 5. Two Spartan pairs won in straight sets - Allison Meehan and Jamie Hirai (21-13, 21-18) and Summer Avery and Luiza Andrade (21-15, 21-9).
The other two winning San José State pairs needed three sets to win their matches. Hana Tresnáková and Julia Menhart won the first, 21-18, fell 21-11 in the second, and won 15-13 in the third. Nandyala Gama and Julie Sam fell in the first set, 21-16, but bounced back to win 21-15, 15-9.
The Spartans played Stanford after falling 3-2 to Santa Clara in a hard-fought dual. Avery and Andrade, playing together for the second and third times this season on Thursday, started their day with a three-set win - 22-24, 21-9, 15-8. The two have won all three matches they played together in the fifth position.
Gama and Sam also needed three sets to record two wins on the day. The pair won 21-19, 19-21, 15-13 over the Broncos.
Two of the three Spartan pairs took their matches to three sets against Santa Clara. Roy and School lost the first set, 21-13, before winning 21-16 in the second but fell 15-10 in the third. Tresnáková and Menhart started with a 21-17 win before falling, 21-18, 15-10. Meehan and Hirai also had two close sets in the loss, 22-20, 21-17.
"I am excited for the win today, but actually, I am most proud of the way we managed our emotions" said Spartan head coach Aaron Shepardson. "We just missed getting a victory versus Santa Clara in a dual that was a grind to the finish. Instead of being discouraged, we just kept working to play better, and we were able to pull out a hard-fought victory against Stanford.
"I am also proud of Summer Avery who has been working diligently all season. She was prepared for her opportunity to step in and help her team in the fifth position these past couple of weeks."
The Spartans are now 8-11 on the year and finish the season with a match Friday at California beginning at 3 p.m.
Sand Volleyball Match Results
Apr 14, 2016 at Stanford, Calif.
(Stanford Beach VB Complex)
Santa Clara 3, San José State 2
1. Kirsten Mead/Sabrina Clayton (SCU) def. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) 17-21, 21-18, 15-10
2. Danielle Rottman/Nikki Hess (SCU) def. Allison Meehan/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) 22-20, 21-17
3. Sarah Vaccaro/Hailey Lindberg (SCU) def. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) 21-13, 16-21, 15-10
4. Nandyala Gama/Julie Sam (SJSU) def. Jensen Cunningham/Lacey Maas (SCU) 21-10, 19-21, 15-13
5. Summer Avery/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) def. Madison Dutra/Mary Shepard (SCU) 22-24, 21-9, 15-8
Ex. Tatiana San Juan/Jensen Cunningham (SCU) def. Julia Golbeck/Mariana Mantellato (SJSU) 28-22
Records: Santa Clara 8-2; San José State 7-11
San José State 4, Stanford 1
1. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) def. Hayley Hodson/Payton Chang (STAN) 21-18, 11-21, 15-13
2. Ivana Vanjak/Catherine Raquel (STAN) def. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) 21-18, 21-15
3. Allison Meehan/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) def. Merete Lutz/Halland McKenna (STAN) 21-13, 21-18
4. Nandyala Gama/Julie Sam (SJSU) def. Courtney Bowen/Jennifer DiSanto (STAN) 16-21, 21-15, 15-9
5. Summer Avery/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) def. Alexis Froistad/Tami Alade (STAN) 21-15, 21-9
Records: San José State 8-11; Stanford 5-9
# # #