April 8, 2014
Stanford, Calif.-- Lauren Jacobsen and Cori O'Donoghue played tough at the number-three spot for the San José State University women's sand volleyball team Tuesday afternoon as the Spartans fell at Stanford 5-0.
Jacobsen and O'Donoghue took the Cardinal pair of Inky Ajanaku and Kyle Gilbert past the 21-point mark before falling 22-20. The pairs also played a tough second set before Ajanaku-Gilbert won 21-18.
McKenzie Palassou and Megan Powers made their debut in the number-one spot and fell to Stanford's team of Brittany Howard and Carly Wopat, 21-14, 21-13. Kiely Pieper and Tyanna Roy played in the two spot against Lauren Birks and Jordan Burgess. Pieper-Roy fell 21-11, 21-17.
The Spartans return to the courts on Wednesday, April 9, with a match against San Francisco at Los Gatos High School. First serve is set for noon.
Stanford 5 San José State 0
1. Brittany Howard-Carly Wopat (ST) def. McKenzie Palassou-Megan Powers (SJSU) - 21-14, 21-13.
2. Lauren Birks-Jordan Burgess (ST) def. Kiely Pieper-Tyanna Roy (SJSU) - 21-11, 21-17.
3. Inky Ajanaku-Kyle Gilbert (ST) def. Lauren Jacobsen-Cori O'Donoghue (SJSU) - 22-20, 21-18.
4. Madi Bugg-Kelsey Humphreys (ST) def. Brittney Diffine-Lindsay Skadeland (SJSU) - 21-12, 21-15.
5. Morgan Boukather-Megan McGehee (ST) def. Lyndsay Albiani-Sabrina Webb (SJSU) - 21-4, 21-12.
Records - Stanford 2-6; San José State 0-9.
# # #