Monterey, Calif.--The San José State beach volleyball team continued to add to milestones to this historic season as the Spartans defeated #16 California, 3-2, for the first time in school history Saturday at the Monterey College Invitational. The Spartans also defeated Sacramento State, 4-1, to finish first at the tournament and improve to 6-8 on the season
The win against the Golden Bears is the first over a nationally-ranked team in school history. Nandyala Gama and Julie Sam needed three sets to give the Spartans the first point of the dual with a 19-21, 21-19, 15-13 win. Tyanna Roy and Lyndi Scholl got the second point with an 18-21, 21-14, 15-11 win, and Hana Tresnáková and Julia Menhart sealed the win with a 21-8, 21-10 victory.
Four Spartan pairs were victorious against Sacramento State as the Spartans defeated the Hornets for the third time this season. Three pairs swept their opponents – Luiza Andrade and Julia Golbeck (21-13, 21-18); Roy and Scholl (21-17, 24-22) and Tresnáková and Menhart (21-10, 21-17). Gama and Sam needed three sets to secure a win – 22-20, 14-21, 15-13.
The Spartans also defeated Feather River College, 5-0, in an exhibition dual. All Spartan pairs, including the exhibition pair, swept their respective match.
"We were fortunate today to have another milestone victory and a first-place tournament finish," said Spartan head coach Aaron Shepardson. "All credit goes to our players who are beginning to appreciate the mental effort and emotional control it takes to produce a great performance.
"I was happy to see Tyanna and Lyndi make some breakthroughs in their game that they have been diligently working towards for the past month."
San José State next plays against Santa Clara on Thursday, April 7, at Los Gatos High School beginning at 2 p.m. The team travels to Sacramento next weekend for matches against New Mexico (12 p.m.) and Sacramento State (3 p.m.) on Saturday, April 9.
Sand Volleyball Match Results
Apr 02, 2016 at Monterey, Calif.
(Monterey Bay Park Sand Courts)
San José State 3, #16 California 2
1. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) def. Mia Merino/Karina Langli (CAL) 21-8, 21-10
2. Bryce Bark/Kory Lamet (CAL) def. Allison Meehan/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) 21-16, 21-15
3. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) def. Grace Campbell/Olivia Rodberg (CAL) 18-21, 21-14, 15-11
4. Nandyala Gama/Julie Sam (SJSU) def. Katie Regalia/Rachel Wilson (CAL) 19-21, 21-19, 15-13
5. Kaity Uythoven/Teya Neff (CAL) def. Luiza Andrade/Julia Golbeck (SJSU) 21-14, 21-17
Ex. Emily Shults/Sammy Furlan (CAL) def. Mariana Mantellato/Summer Avery (SJSU) 21-15, 21-18
Records: California 8-7; National ranking #16; San José State 5-8
San José State 4, Sacramento State 1
1. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) def. Madeline Cannon/Sloan Lovett (SAC) 21-10, 21-17
2. Lauren Aikels/Morgan Stanley (SAC) def. Allison Meehan/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) 21-15, 21-18
3. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) def. Lana Brown/Lexie Skalbeck (SAC) 21-17, 24-22
4. Nandyala Gama/Julie Sam (SJSU) def. Kennedy Kurtz/Skyler Takeda (SAC) 22-20, 14-21, 21-15
5. Luiza Andrade/Julia Golbeck (SJSU) def. Brie Gathright/Hannah Meadows (SAC) 21-13, 21-18
Ex. Brigitte Murdock/Julia Wright (SAC) def. Mariana Mantellato/Breann Robinson (SJSU) 23-21, 21-17
Records - Sacramento State 0-11; San José State 6-8
San José State 5, Feather River 0
1. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) def. Nina Holmes/Morgan Hughes (FR) 21-17, 21-12
2. Allison Meehan/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) def. Stacey Witt/Jessica Martinez (FR) 21-15, 21-13
3. Lyndi Scholl/Tyanna Roy (SJSU) def. Bailey Zavala/Rebekah Watt (FR) 21-13, 21-9
4. Nandyala Gama/Julie Sam (SJSU) def. Amanda Lake/Teale Stacey (FR) 22-20, 21-14
5. Julia Golbeck/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) def. Summer Vercuysse/Jasmin Sherman (FR) 21-12, 21-15
Ex - Breann Robinson/Summer Avery (SJSU) def. Summer Williams/Gabrielle Diaz (FR) 21-12, 21-9
# # #