Bakersfield, Calif.--The San José State beach volleyball team split a pair of duals in Bakersfield on Friday as every Spartan pair recorded a victory in one of the contests. The Spartans fell to Cal Poly, 3-2, but rebounded to defeat CSU Bakersfield, 3-2.
Against Cal Poly, Hana Tresnáková and Julia Menhart swept the Mustang pair, 22-20, 22-20, while Jamie Hirai and Allison Meehan recorded their sixth win of the season with a straight-set win, 22-20, 21-9.
Unfortunately, the three other Spartan pairs were swept in their matches -- Tyanna Roy and Lyndi Scholl, 21-15, 21-14; Giulia Gávio and Luiza Andrade, 21-15, 22-20; and Julie Sam and Julia Golbeck, 21-10, 21-17.
However, the three pairs that lost against Cal Poly rebounded against CSU Bakersfield and led San José State to a 3-2 win. Gávio and Andrade picked up their first win of the season at 21-16, 21-3. Sam and Golbeck won 21-17, 21-19, and Scholl and Roy won 21-14, 21-14. Menhart and Tresnáková fell 21-16, 23-21, Hirai and Meehan lost in three sets, 15-21, 21-17, 15-8.
"The first dual against Cal Poly was tough," said Spartan head coach Aaron Shepardson. "The weather conditions were very poor, but we must learn to use that to our advantage as opposed to being distracted. I would like to see our team respond better.
"Our dual against CSU Bakersfield was a great contest. Our 3s, 4s and 5s really stepped up to secure our victory. I am pleased with that and with Giulia and Luiza earning their first victory of the year."
San José State is now 3-5 on the season. The team travels to Phoenix, Ariz., for two duals on Sunday. The team plays New Mexico and Grand Canyon at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. Pacific, respectively.
Sand Volleyball Match Results
Mar 11, 2016 at Bakersfield, Calif.
(Barnes Beach VB Complex)
Cal Poly 3, San José State 2
1. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) def. Adlee Van Winden/Raeann Greisen (CP) 22-20, 22-20
2. Taylor Nelson/Savannah Niemen (CP) def. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) 21-15, 21-14
3. Jamie Hirai/Allison Meehan (SJSU) def. Jacqui Martin/Anna Gorman (CP) 22-20, 21-9
4. Casey Carroll/Bailey Roach (CP) def. Giulia Gávio/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) 21-15, 22-20
5. Dora Beilin/Katherin Brouker (CP) def. Julie Sam/Julia Golbeck (SJSU) 21-10, 21-17
Ex. Megan Wagner/Clare Holehouse (CP) def. Nandyala Gama/Mariana Mantellato (SJSU) 21-18, 21-17
Records: Cal Poly 2-4; San José State 2-5.
San José State 3, CSU Bakersfield 2
1. Sydney Haynes/Carol Grasso (CSUB) def. Julia Menhart/Hana Tresnáková (SJSU) 21-16, 23-21
2. Jocelyn Rodriguez/Edithza Urias (CSUB) def. Jamie Hirai/Allison Meehan (SJSU) 15-21, 21-17, 15-8
3. Lyndi Scholl/Tyanna Roy (SJSU) def. Kayla Tinker/Kortney Freeland (CSUB) 21-14, 21-14
4. Julie Sam/Julia Golbeck (SJSU) def. Sophie Flemion/Kelsee Sawyer (CSUB) 21-17, 21-19
5. Giulia Gávio/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) def. Katie Dunbar-Lowe/Lisa Armendariz (CSUB) 21-16, 21-3
Ext. Amanda Schoene/Ally Barber (CSUB) def. Taylor Elliott/Nandyala Gama (SJSU) 21-15, 18-21, 15-12
Records: San José State 3-5; CSU Bakersfield 1-3
# # #