Larkspur, Calif.-- Jamie Hirai and Allison Meehan won their two matches on Wednesday to help the San José State beach volleyball team to a 1-1 record at the USF Invitational, played at Piper Park in Larkspur, Calif.
Hirai and Meehan improved to 5-1 on the season with the wins. They swept both pairs from Portland (21-18, 22-20) and San Francisco (21-12, 25-23).
The Spartan defeated Portland 4-1 to start the day. Julia Menhart and Hana Tresnakova improved to 3-2 on the season with a 21-16, 21-11 win. Lyndi Scholl and Tyanna Roy picked up their second win of the season 21-10, 21-16. Julia Golbeck and Julie Sam got their third win of the year at 21-13, 21-15.
San José State pushed undefeated San Francisco, but the Dons won 3-1, with the final match of day suspended due to darkness. Hirai and Meehan were the only Spartan pair to record a victory. Two other Spartan pairs extended their matches to three sets. Luiza Andrade and Giulia Gavio won the first set 21-16 before falling 21-19 and 15-9. Julia Golbeck and Julie Sam also won their first set, 21-18, and pushed the second set before falling 22-20 and lost the third set 15-11. Roy and Scholl fell 21-16, 21-13, and Menhart and Tresnakova's match was suspended due to darkness.
"Today was a very good day for Spartan beach volleyball program," said Spartan head coach Aaron Shepardson. "We have a very solid team victory against a very athletic Portland squad. We definitely pushed San Francisco to their limit with our 1s, 4s and 5s matches going to three sets and a two-set win the 3s for Alli adn Jamie. I was very pleased with their composure when down most of the second set. They kept chipping away down the stretch until they came out with the victory."
The Spartans play two matches on Friday in Bakersfield. The team faces Cal Poly at 1 p.m., and Bakersfield at 5 p.m.
Sand Volleyball Match Results
Mar 09, 2016 at Larkspur, Calif.
San Jose State 4, Portland 1
1. Julia Menhart/Hana Tresnakova (SJSU) def. Hannah Troutman/Morgan Robinson (PORT) 21-16, 21-11
2. Lyndi Scholl/Tyanna Roy (SJSU) def. Makayla Lindburg/Maddy Mandon (PORT) 21-10, 21-16
3. Jamie Hirai/Allison Meehan (SJSU) def. Monica Gajda/Sarah Savoca (PORT) 21-18, 22-20
4. Katie Barker/Djurdjina Milovic (PORT) def. Giulia Gavio/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) 21-17, 13-21, 15-13
5. Julia Golbeck/Julie Sam (SJSU) def. Brittney Markwith/Katie Sullivan (PORT) 21-13, 21-15
Records: Portland 0-3; San Jose State 2-3.
San Francisco 3, San Jose State 1
1. Oluoma Okaro/Sara Staengle (USF) vs. Julia Menhart/Hana Tresnakova (SJSU) 16-21, 20-15, unfinished
2. Jurja Vlasic/Katarina Pilepic (USF) def. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) 21-16, 21-13
3. Jamie Hirai/Allison Meehan (SJSU) def. Courtney Sabahi/Emily Reed (USF) 21-12, 25-23
4. Kiara McKibben/Jessica Gaffney (USF) def. Luiza Andrade/Giulia Gavio (SJSU) 16-21, 21-19, 15-9
5. Madison Murtagh/Kim Gutierrez (USF) def. Julia Golbeck/Julie Sam (SJSU) 18-21, 22-20, 15-11
Records: San Jose State 2-4; San Francisco 6-0.
# # #