Stanford, Calif.--For the first time in school history, the San José State beach volleyball team won a dual match with a 3-2 win over Sacramento State Sunday morning at the Stanford Tournament. Later in the day, the Spartans played another hard-fought match but fell to undefeated San Francisco, 3-2.
The team's top-three pairs were victorious in the win over Sacramento State. Hana Tresnáková and Julia Menhart, playing in the number-one spot, won 21-11, 21-12. Tyanna Roy and Lyndi Scholl, playing at the second spot, also won in straight sets - 21-14, 21-15. Allison Meehan and Jamie Hirai won their third consecutive match of the season but needed three sets - 21-17, 14-21, 15-5.
Facing an undefeated Dons team, the Spartans won two points and pushed in another set. Tresnáková and Menhart recorded their second win of the day, 21-18, 21-12. Golbeck and Sam needed three sets for a 19-21, 21-17, 15-13 win. Meehan and Hirai pushed the San Francisco pair before suffering their first loss of the year, 23-21, 32-30. Roy and Scholl lost 21-15, 21-13, while Gama and Andrade lost by identical scores, 21-19, 21-19.
"This was a milestone day in the history of San José State beach volleyball," said Spartan head coach Aaron Shepardson. "The dedication and hard work of our players helped us earn our first dual victory in the program's history. Hana and Julia led us today with two gritty victories over more physical players and leading our team with their aggressive attitudes.
"Most of all, I am proud that our team is learning to push each other and support each other at the same time."
The Spartan beach volleyball team plays two more matches this Wednesday, March 9, at Piper Park in Larkspur. The Spartans face Portland at 12:30 p.m., and San Francisco at 3:30 p.m.
Sand Volleyball Match Results
Mar 06, 2016 at Stanford, Calif.
(Stanford Beach VB Stadium)
San José State 3, Sacramento State 2
1. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) def. Madeline Cannon/Sloan Lovett (SAC) 21-11, 21-12
2. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) def. Morgan Stanley/Shannon Boyle (SAC) 21-14, 21-15
3. Allison Meehan/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) def. Kennedy Kurtz/Lexie Skalbeck (SAC) 21-17, 14-21, 15-5
4. Lauren Aikels/Brigitte Murdock (SAC) def. Nandyala Gama/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) 21-18, 21-15
5. Lana Brown/Hannah Meadows (SAC) def. Julia Golbeck/Julie Sam (SJSU) 21-14, 17-21, 15-13
Ex. Skyler Takeda/Brie Gathright (SAC) def. Summer Avery/Mariana Mantellato (SJSU) 21-17, 21-17
Records: Sacramento State 0-3; San José State 1-2
San Francisco 3, San José State 2
1. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) def. Oluoma Okaro/Sara Staengle (USF) 21-18, 21-12
2. Katarina Pilepic/Jurja Vlasic (USF) def. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) 21-15, 21-13
3. Emily Reed/Courtney Sabahi (USF) def. Allison Meehan/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) 23-21, 32-30
4. Jessica Gaffney/Kiara McKibben (USF) def. Nandyala Gama/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) 21-19, 21-19
5. Julia Golbeck/Julie Sam (SJSU) def. Jessica Keenan/Kim Gutierrez (USF) 19-21, 21-17, 15-13
Records: San Francisco 4-0; San José State 1-3
# # #