Stanford, Calif.-- Jamie Hirai and birthday girl Allison Meehan won both of their matches on Saturday as the San José State beach volleyball team opened the 2016 season at the Stanford Tournament. The Spartans fell to Pacific, 4-1, and Stanford, 3-2, at the Stanford Beach Volleyball Stadium.
Hirai and Meehan, playing the number-three spot in both matches, needed three sets to beat the Pacific duo of Jess Hess and Katrin Gotterba, 18-21, 21-16, 15-11. Hirai and Meehan needed just two sets against Stanford's Catherine Raquel and Hayley Hodson for the 21-17, 21-19 win.
In the first match of the day, the Spartans fell to Pacific, 4-1, with Hirai and Meehan scoring the team's only point. However, two other duos went three sets with the Tigers - Hana Tresnáková and Julia Menhart (21-15, 18-21, 18-16) and Julia Golbeck and Julie Sam (18-21, 21-16, 15-12), before suffering their first loss of the season.
Sam and Golbeck responded against Stanford with their first win of the season with a 21-17, 24-22 win over Courtney Brown and Jennifer DiSanto.
Two other Spartan pairs pushed the Cardinal to the limit in their matches. Tresnákova and Menhart again went three sets before falling, 17-21,21-18, 15-8, to Ivana Vanjak and Payton Chang. Nandyala Gama and Luiza Andrade, playing in the fourth position, fell to Sidney Brown and Karina Robinson, 15-21, 21-13, 15-7.
"I was very proud of our team today in some rough weather at Stanford," said Spartan beach volleyball head coach Aaron Shepardson. "Six of our 12 competitors were playing their first-ever NCAA beach competition today. We came within a handful of points of winning our first dual ever against Stanford. Many matches went to three sets throughout the day.
"I am particularly proud of Allison and Jamie who steadily controlled both of their matches today."
The Spartans continue play at the Stanford Tournament on Sunday with matches against Sacramento State at 8:30 a.m., and San Francisco at 2:30 p.m.
Sand Volleyball Match Results
Stanford Beach Volleyball Stadium
Mar 05, 2016 at Stanford, Calif.
Pacific 4, San José State 1
1. Andie Shelton/Lexi Elman (UOP) def. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) 21-15, 18-21, 18-16
2. Kimmy Whitson/Alicja Wilk (UOP) def. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) 21-14, 22-20
3. Allison Meehan/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) def. Jess Hess/Katrin Gotterba (UOP) 18-21, 21-16, 15-11
4. Jessica Diederich/Alex Holt (UOP) def. Julia Golbeck/Julie Sam (SJSU) 18-21, 21-16, 15-12
5. Mia Feiner/Maycie LaBass (UOP) def. Luiza Andrade/Nandyala Gama (SJSU) 21-13, 21-19
Ex. Mariana Mantellato/Breann Robinson (SJSU) def. Lauren Cline/Janie Feldsher (UOP) 21-13, 21-16
Records - Pacific 1-1; San José State 0-1.
Stanford 3, San José State 2
1. Ivana Vanjak/Payton Chang (STAN) def. Hana Tresnáková/Julia Menhart (SJSU) 17-21, 21-18, 15-8
2. Merete Lutz/Halland McKenna (STAN) def. Tyanna Roy/Lyndi Scholl (SJSU) 21-12, 21-12
3. Allison Meehan/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) def. Catherine Raquel/Hayley Hodson (STAN) 21-17, 21-19
4. Sidney Brown/Karina Robinson (STAN) def. Nandyala Gama/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) 15-21, 21-13, 15-7
5. Julie Sam/Julia Golbeck (SJSU) def. Courtney Bowen/Jennifer DiSanto (STAN) 21-17, 24-22
Ex. Alexis Froistad/Tami Alade (STAN) def. Mariana Mantellato/Breann Robinson (SJSU) 21-9, 21-14
Records - San José State 0-2; Stanford 2-0.
# # #