Palm Desert, Calif.-- My Leander and Elizabeth Schultz each shot 71 in the final round to help the San José State women's golf team finish tied for first at the Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Intercollegiate at the Classic Club in Palm Desert, Calif.
The Spartans shot a 297 in the final round and tied with UC Riverside at 894 for the three rounds. San José State had just a one-shot lead going into the final round.
Leander finished tied for third at 220 after shooting 74-75-71 over the three rounds. In the final round, Leander started on hole #2 and went par, birdie, birdie to go to two-under. After bogeys on #7 and #8, she birdied #9 to go back to one-under par. Leander then made seven consecutive pars, birdie on #17 and par to go back to two-under on her round before a bogey on #1 left her at one-under par for the day.
Schultz tied for sixth at 221, one shot behind Leander and shot 74-76-71 over her three rounds. Starting on hole #3 Sunday, Schultz started with four consecutive pars, a bogey on #7, then 10 consecutive pars, followed by a birdie on #18, par on #1 and birdie on #2 to end the day at one-under par.
Regan De Guzman shot a 78 in round three to finish tied for 11th at 225. Fanny Johansson tied for 46th at 236 after recording a 77 in the third round. Alexandra Cooper shot an 82 and finished tied for 50th at 238.
"My and Elizabeth did a great job today, giving us a chance to win," said Spartan head coach John Dormann. "This was a good experience for our team. To play in adverse conditions and try to lead wire-to-wire takes players out of their comfort zone.
"We made 19 double and triple bogeys this weekend. That is far too many, and hopefully, it was just one of those things that happens. Our focus is on our performance, and it is clear we have to be more consistent and learn to finish off our round stronger."
San José State next competes at the Stanford Intercollegiate, October 18-20, at the Stanford Golf Course.
Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Intercollegiate
Classic Club, Palm Desert, Calif.
Part 71, 6,112 yards
Final Team Standings
1. UC Riverside 297-301-296-894
1. San José State 294-303-297-894
3. Northern Arizona 304-310-290-904
4. Santa Clara 298-316-300-914
5. Cal Poly 305-308-303-916
6. Sacramento State 307-304-306-917
7. Wyoming 305-312-303-920
7. CS Fullerton 305-314-301-920
9. UC Irvine 306-307-308-921
10. Grand Canyon 310-312-304-926
11. Southern Utah 320-308-299-927
12. CSUN 311-314-303-928
13. Incarnate Word 315-327-318-960
14. Bakersfield 319-325-319-963
Final Individual Standings
1. Martina Edberg, CS Fullerton 76-68-67-211
2. Hannah Facchini, UC Riverside 72-71-74-217
3. My Leander, San José State 74-75-71-220
3. Kristin Le, Santa Clara 71-75-74-220
San José State Results
3. My Leander 74-75-71-220
6. Elizabeth Schultz 74-76-71-221
11. Regan De Guzman 71-76-78-225
46. Fanny Johansson 83-76-77-236
50. Alexandra Cooper 75-81-82-238
# # #