Season Ends For Men's Soccer On Overtime Goal

Albuquerque, N.M. - The San Jose State men's soccer team (8-9-1) dominated the second period of their quarterfinal match in the MPSF Tournament, but lost in overtime to the fourth seed Denver Pioneers 2-1 on Thursday night in Albuquerque, N.M.

At the 91:39 mark, the first shot of a 1-1 overtime ended the Spartans season.  Taylor Hunter drove into the box with the ball and passed it back out to Cole Chapleski who, from the top of the 18, fired it to the far post for the game winner for Denver (11-5-3).

The Spartans, the tournament's fifth seed, went down 1-0 on a 24th minute goal by the Pioneers Josh Wren. Wren took a Zach Bolden pass deep in the box and fired the shot before a major collision with Spartans' keeper Emmanuel Espinosa. The ball rolled into the goal after the collision as both players lay on the ground.

The team's ended the period nearly even statistically, four shots each with two on goal for each side, but with the Spartans down on the scoreboard.

San Jose State opened the second half with scoring on their minds.  Enrique Montano fired a shot in the 48th minute and then at the 48:58 mark the Spartans got the equalizer. 

Steven Sanchez, who led all players with four shots, dribbled along the left outside edge of the box and whipped a curling cross to the opposite side where Jonathan Salceda played the pass off his chest at the far post and one-touched home the Spartans.

San Jose State kept up the pressure, outshooting the Pioneers 11-to-6 in the period.  Even with a red card assessed to Denver's Shannon in the 84th minute, the Spartans could not get the go ahead tally and the sides went to overtime where it was quickly decided.

Four San Jose State players had two shots each, Montano, Diego Ochoa, Mauricio Murillo and Salceda.  Jasper Pipe, Thomas Barnes and Frankie Beauchamp took a shot a piece.  Both Salceda attempts were on goal.

For Denver, 10 players got shots off.  Bolden leading the way with two, both on frame.