Justin Castro is a redshirt freshman midfielder and one of four San Jose natives on the 2008 Spartan roster. He is a graduate of Archbishop Mitty High School, where he played alongside current teammates Zlatko Bijelic and Sky Cutler. Castro has battled through an injury to appear in five matches this season.
The Spartans, now at 7-5-4 overall, 3-4-1 in MPSF play, and on a four-match unbeaten streak, are heading into the final stretch of the 2008 regular season in search of an above-.500 record both overall and in the league. They play their last two matches at home, hosting four-time defending MPSF champion New Mexico on Sunday, November 9. Kick-off is set for 1:00 p.m. inside Spartan Stadium.
Justin, an industrial design major, is the latest guest for our occasional mini-feature here on SJSUSpartans.com, Men’s Soccer Q&A.
1. Who are some of your favorite musical artists?
Lil Wayne, T-Pain, Trey Songz, Taj-He-Spitz, Team Knoc and The Dream.
2. Any favorite movies? Do you have a favorite soccer movie?
Scarface, Rush Hour 3, Hitch and Guess Who. My favorite soccer movie would definitely have to be Green Street Hooligans.
3. Do you have any favorite television shows?
George Lopez and Emeril Live.
4. What professional soccer team do you root for? Are there any professional soccer players who you admire?
Manchester United. The one and only Ronaldinho Gaucho (Brazil and AC Milan), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal and Manchester United), Carlos Tevez (Argentina and Manchester United) and Paul Scholes (England and Manchester United).
5. How easy or difficult a decision was it to stay close to home and become a part of the program here at San Jose State?
It was a very difficult decision to make. I was getting offers from other schools to come play for their teams, but in the end I decided I wanted to stay and represent my hometown.
6. What position on the field do you enjoy playing the most?
I enjoy playing every position, but if I had to choose one it would have to be central midfielder (attacking or defensive).
7. What are some of your favorite foods?
My favorite food is Honduran tamales my aunt makes for Thanksgiving every year. Following that, I keep it simple with some Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.
8. Can you recall a favorite place you have visited? Is there a place that you would like to visit some day?
I haven’t been able to travel too much, but did get an opportunity to go to Florida a few years back and enjoyed the warm weather there. I want to be able to visit Honduras.
9. What are some of the things you enjoy doing when you are not playing soccer?
I enjoy spending time with family. I have a little brother that plays soccer as well, and I know he is going to make it big. I like watching him play in his games, because he is already a great player and has the potential to be unstoppable.
10. If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would they be?
I would want to have dinner with The Three Stooges, just for the hell of it. I have a feeling it would be one funny meal.
2008 Men's Soccer Q&A Guests
September 9 - Bobby Jackson, Redshirt Freshman Midfielder
September 23 - Josh Boemecke, Sophomore Midfielder
October 8 - Brent Young, Redshirt Freshman Forward
October 16 - Dan Addiego, Redshirt Freshman Defender
October 16 - Colby Moore, Junior Forward
October 30 - Oscar Monjaras, Junior Defender
October 30 - Oscar Yniguez, Freshman Midfielder
October 30 - Boyah Kaar, Redshirt Freshman Defender
November 5 - Nick Cukar, Junior Midfielder
November 6 - Kachiside Madu, Redshirt Freshman Defender
November 9 - Justin Castro, Redshirt Freshman Midfielder