Oscar Yniguez is a freshman midfielder on the 2008 Spartan roster. The native of Redwood City, Calif., and 2008 graduate of Woodside High School is the only true freshman that has seen action for head coach Gary St. Clair’s side this season. He has appeared in nine matches, including starts against USF, UC Davis and Air Force.
Coming off an 11-day break from competition, the Spartans resume play with the second half of their 10-game conference schedule this Friday afternoon, October 31, in Denver, Colo., against the first-place Pioneers of Denver University. Before heading out, we asked Oscar, who has not declared his major, but is interested in pursuing electrical engineering or aerospace engineering, to spend a few minutes with SJSUSpartans.com for another edition of our occasional website mini-feature, Men’s Soccer Q&A.
1. Who are some of your favorite musical artists?
Ludacris, Eminem and Lil Wayne.
2. Any favorite movies?
My favorite movie would be Forever Young, ever since I was little.
3. Do you have any favorite television shows?
No, not really, because I barely have time to watch television from all the commuting and schoolwork.
4. What professional soccer teams do you root for? Are there any professional soccer players who you admire?
I root for FC Barcelona (in Spain). Ronaldinho (Brazil and AC Milan) is my favorite soccer player, because when I see him play, he always does crazy things.
5. What have been some of the major differences you have noticed between high school soccer and Division I college soccer?
High school is not very competitive, whereas Division I college is, because there are better players and the game is more physical.
6. You had some options coming out of Woodside High School. What factors ultimately made you choose to join the San Jose State program?
I came to SJSU because it’s a nice campus and I liked what it had to offer academically. Plus, I wanted to stay close to home.
7. Do you have a most memorable moment throughout your playing career to this point, at the high school, club or college level?
My most memorable moment would be when I was named MVP for Nationals (club).
8. Is there a place that you would like to visit some day?
I would love to visit Spain.
9. What is one team that you would like to see on the Spartan schedule and why?
I would like to see Wake Forest, because it would be a great experience playing against the number-one team in the nation.
10. What is your favorite thing about the game of soccer?
I like the joy it gives me while playing, even though it might get a little frustrating at times.
2008 Men's Soccer Q&A Guests
September 9 - Bobby Jackson, Redshirt Freshman Midfielder
September 23 - Josh Boemecke, Sophomore Midfielder
October 8 - Brent Young, Redshirt Freshman Forward
October 16 - Dan Addiego, Redshirt Freshman Defender
October 16 - Colby Moore, Junior Forward
October 30 - Oscar Monjaras, Junior Defender
October 30 - Oscar Yniguez, Freshman Midfielder