Colby Moore is a third-year junior on the 2008 Spartans who has started all 10 matches he has appeared in this season and provided a team-leading three assists as the starting striker in San Jose State’s 4-5-1 alignment. The Los Gatos native is a 2006 graduate of nearby Bellarmine College Prep. His next goal will be the 10th of his college career.
As the Spartans approach a critical home weekend in conference play, we asked Colby, a business administration major with a concentration in marketing, to spend a few minutes with SJSUSpartans.com for this latest edition of our occasional website mini-feature, Men’s Soccer Q&A.
1. Who are some of your favorite musical artists?
Some of my favorite musical artists include Underoath, Cartel, Lil Wayne and Saosin. I can listen to mostly everything, but my favorite kind of music is rock and rap. It just depends on what I am doing. For example, before games I actually listen to hard rock and techno to try and get my adrenaline going.
2. Any favorite movies? Do you have a favorite soccer movie?
My favorite movies are The Boondock Saints, Snatch and Gladiator. My favorite soccer movie has to be Green Street Hooligans.
3. Do you have any favorite television shows?
My favorite TV shows are Entourage, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and Family Guy. My roommates Bob Jackson, Luke Mazzanti and Dan Addiego all sit down at night and challenge each other when Jeopardy comes on. It’s quite entertaining.
4. What professional soccer teams do you root for? Are there any professional soccer players who you admire?
My favorite soccer team is AC Milan, and my favorite players in the world are Kaka (Brazil and AC Milan) and Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal and Manchester United). They have such grace when they move on the field. They make it look effortless.
5. Being a forward, is there one memorable goal throughout your playing career that stands out?
I think that my most memorable goal that I scored would have to be my first goal at Stanford my freshman year (September 8, 2006). We were down, 1-0, with five minutes left to play. I came in and scored back-post on a cross. I have to say that my goal was not pretty at all, but it was a game-tying goal and we went on to win, 2-1, with eight seconds left in the game.
6. Can you recall a favorite place that you have visited? Any destination spot in particular that you would like to make it to some day?
A favorite place that I have visited is London, England. I had a chance to go and play soccer there for two weeks when I was a senior in high school, and I have always wanted to go back.
7. What has been your favorite venue that you have played at so far in two-plus years in the Spartan program? Is there a team you would like to see on the schedule?
Santa Clara and New Mexico, hands down. The crowds those two teams pull are great to play in front of. I would like to play Wake Forest, who is the best team in the NCAA, just to say I have played them.
8. If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would they be and why?
Pele, because he is the best soccer player ever, Jesus, just to ask him a few questions, and Leonidas (King of Sparta), just because he was a savage, and I would like him to give me a pre-game speech.
9. What is your favorite thing about the game of soccer?
My favorite thing about soccer is that any team can beat any team on any given day.
10. After a tough couple of weekends of narrow road losses to conference opponents, talk about the importance of these two games at home coming up.
The next two games are very important. They are must wins for us to keep our hopes of winning the conference alive. We need to come out and play like we know how to play, and if we do that, we will be fine.
2008 Men's Soccer Q&A Guests
September 9 - Bobby Jackson, Redshirt Freshman Midfielder
September 23 - Josh Boemecke, Sophomore Midfielder
October 8 - Brent Young, Redshirt Freshman Forward
October 16 - Dan Addiego, Redshirt Freshman Defender
October 16 - Colby Moore, Junior Forward