Brent Young is a redshirt freshman on the 2008 Spartans who has seen time in five of nine matches thus far this season as the third-string forward in San Jose State’s 4-5-1 scheme. The Las Vegas, Nev., product out of Bishop Gorman High School should make his first trip to his hometown as a member of the Spartans’ travel roster this weekend, as San Jose State rounds out a season-long five-game road stretch at four-time defending Mountain Pacific Sports Federation champion New Mexico on Friday night, October 10, before moving on to face the Rebels of UNLV on Sunday afternoon, October 12.
As Thursday’s travel day nears, we asked Brent, a hospitality management major, to spend a few minutes with SJSUSpartans.com for this latest edition of our occasional website mini-feature, Men’s Soccer Q&A.
1. Who are some of your favorite musical artists?
Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Ne-Yo, T.I., Chris Brown, and Lupe Fiasco are some of my favorite musical artists. My teammate, Lewis Sweeney, has also introduced me to some house music that I also enjoy listening to before games.
2. Any favorite movies? Do you have a favorite soccer movie?
Ratatouille, Iron Man, 300, A Goofy Movie, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Dark Knight and The Jungle Book are some of my favorites. My favorite soccer movie would have to be The Big Green.
3. Do you have any favorite television shows?
I enjoy watching Entourage, as well as a show called Man vs. Wild. My favorite television channel would have to be Food Network. My roommate and teammate, Ricky Dorrego and I, watch it almost everyday.
4. What professional soccer teams do you root for? Are there any professional soccer players who you admire?
I would have to say that I’m a FC Barcelona fan because my favorite player is (French striker) Thierry Henry and he is a member of that squad. Some of the professional soccer players I admire include Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal and Manchester United), Robinho (Brazil and Manchester City), Lionel Messi (Argentina and Barcelona), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast and Chelsea), Shaun Wright-Phillips (England and Manchester City) and Michael Essien (Ghana and Chelsea), just to name a few.
5. You list hospitality management as your major and owning a restaurant as a potential career plan for after college. What kind of a restaurant do you think you would like to run? Do you dabble in the kitchen at all as a chef, or are you strictly interested in the management aspect of it?
I’m not exactly sure what type of restaurant I would want to open yet, because I love all different types of food. I would want to try and incorporate Belizean culture into some of the food I would serve at the restaurant. I do enjoy cooking, but I’m more interested in the management aspect of it.
6. Can you recall a favorite place that you have visited? Any destination spot in particular that you would like to make it to some day?
My favorite place to visit would have to be Belize (Central America). My parents are both from there, so I have a lot of relatives there. You can’t really beat the weather and the beautiful islands there. I would love to visit Greece one day. After seeing pictures of the landscape there, it looks absolutely beautiful.
7. What made you decide to come to San Jose State University from Las Vegas, Nev.?
When I came on a visit to San Jose, I enjoyed everything about the school and the soccer program. The weather beats Las Vegas weather by a long shot. I just really wanted to get away from Las Vegas and try something new and different.
8. What do you think about the prospect of going home and playing in Las Vegas in front of family and friends as a member of the Spartans this weekend? Talk about this upcoming trip a little bit.
Being given the chance to play in front of my friends and family would be an honor. It is especially hard for my parents to travel back and forth to San Jose from Las Vegas to watch some of my games, so for them to get a chance to finally see me play would be great. My father has been looking forward to this trip more than I have.
9. If you could add any team to the San Jose State schedule, who would it be and why?
I would say Wake Forest. They are currently undefeated and ranked number-one in the nation. I believe that to be the best, you have to beat the best, and I do believe that our team deserves to be given that chance.
10. What is your favorite thing about the game of soccer?
My favorite thing about the game of soccer would be the feeling of scoring goals. Being a forward, this is pretty much my only job. There is no better feeling than seeing the ball go past the keeper into the back of the net.
2008 Men's Soccer Q&A Guests
September 9 - Bobby Jackson, Redshirt Freshman Midfielder
September 23 - Josh Boemecke, Sophomore Midfielder
October 8 - Brent Young, Redshirt Freshman Forward