Robert Jackson is an outside midfielder who redshirted as a freshman a year ago and made his collegiate debut in a 3-0 season-opening Spartan victory at home over Notre Dame de Namur University on Friday, August 29. He tallied goals in each of the two exhibition matches that San Jose State played.
A biological sciences major, Jackson is one of two natives of Las Vegas, Nev., on the current Spartan roster, alongside fellow redshirt freshman Brent Young, a reserve striker.
Jackson and his teammates, off to an undefeated start of 1-0-1, are set to take on area rival University of San Francisco under the lights inside Spartan Stadium on Wednesday night, September 10. Kick-off is set for 7:00 p.m.
Jackson leads off our occasional men’s soccer Q&A website mini-feature this week on SJSUSpartans.com.
1. Who are some of your favorite musical artists?
My favorite musical artists are Boyz II Men and Lil Wayne.
2. Any favorite movies? Do you have a favorite soccer movie?
My favorite movies would have to be Wedding Crashers, Anchorman and Enemy at the Gates. My favorite soccer movie would have to be Goal!.
3. Do you have any favorite television shows?
Since we usually are playing video games, the only television shows I really watch are “Wheel of Fortune” and “Jeopardy!”.
4. What professional soccer teams do you root for?
I don’t really root for any professional soccer teams. I mainly root against Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal, but if I had to choose a team to root for, it would be AC Milan.
5. What made you come out to San Jose State from Las Vegas?
I have always wanted to play soccer in California and get out of Las Vegas for college. The Spartans always field a competitive team and have a very strong schedule which made it a real easy decision to come here.
6. If you weren’t a soccer player, what other sport would you play?
If I didn’t play soccer, I would be a golfer. I love to play golf. My roommates, Colby Moore, Dan Addiego, (Spartan baseball player) Luke Mazzanti and I like to get out and hit the links as often as our schedule and financial situation allows us.
7. What are some of your favorite foods? Do you have a favorite pre-game meal?
My favorite foods are Wendy’s, Burger King, Taco Bell and seafood. Before every game, Luke Mazzanti, Colby Moore, Dan Addiego and I go to Peanuts (Deluxe Sandwich Shop in San Jose), where I get the Pikes Pass.
8. What would be your dream vacation spot?
My dream vacation spot would have to be Greece, because of how beautiful it is. I would mainly like to visit it because of the breathtaking beaches and its exquisite culinary selection.
9. Your position is listed as a midfielder for San Jose State, but you were a prolific goal-scorer during your prep days at Las Vegas (Nev.) High School (111 goals in four years), and found the back of the net in each of the Spartans’ two exhibition matches. How would you rate your striking ability?
I would say that I have room to improve on my overall finishing. I am a decent finisher, but I am still very inconsistent and need to work on my consistency to reach my full potential, especially if I want to achieve my childhood goal of playing professional soccer.
10. San Jose State is heading into an important part of its schedule, where you play area rival USF, UC Davis and Cal Poly in nine days. Talk about this stretch coming up.
This stretch of games is very important. They are all against tough opponents, and will show where our team really stands. Each game will be very difficult, but I believe as long as we are prepared and if we play as well as we are capable of, we definitely have the ability to win each of them.