1. Who has been your biggest inspiration while playing the game?
My biggest inspiration would have to be my grandpa. He’s been the person who has taken me to golf tournaments and travelled all over the West Coast with me.
2. When did you play your first round of golf and what do you remember about that experience?
I don’t remember much, but I was nine years-old. I was with my dad on one of those short par-3 courses.
3. What is your number-one goal for this coming season?
Just to win, bottom line. This team has a lot of talent, so I just want to win.
4. What is the most challenging aspect of being a student-athlete? What has been the best part of being a student-athlete?
The hardest part would be time management. Our classes run five to six hours everyday, so by the time we get home it’s time to do homework.
The best part would be you get to meet all the past alumni from the golf teams and make a lot of connections. We don’t have it too bad. I mean we do get to play golf everyday.
5. What would you say is the biggest misconception about golf for those who watch it rather than play?
I think the biggest misconception is you don’t really have to be an athlete to play. However, that’s wrong because it is a physically demanding sport. Now that Tiger (Woods) is around people are respecting the fact that you have to be in good shape.
6. Are you superstitious at all when entering a tournament or round of golf? Do you have any rituals?
I mark my ball with the same ball marker. Other than that, no.
7. What is the best course you’ve played on? Why do you consider it the best?
We had the chance to play at Cypress Point in Pebble Beach two years ago. It was breathtaking. The majority of the holes are right on the coast. We found ourselves looking around rather than playing golf because everything was just so amazing.
8. If you could play in a foursome with any golfers in the world, who would they be?
Tiger Woods, Bobby Jones, and Camilo Villegas.
9. What has been the most amazing shot you’ve ever executed?
It would have to be two years ago at Long Beach State’s tournament. It was during a playoff for the individual title. I was under a tree on the right side of the fairway. I had to hit the ball low, then curve it from left to right to get on the green. I hit exactly how I pictured it. So under that kind of pressure, that would be the most amazing shot I’ve had.
10. What is your favorite TV show?
11. What is your favorite movie?
12. What artists are currently in your Ipod?
Bob Marley, The Beatles, Lil’ Wayne, and Kanye (West).
13. What is your favorite sport outside of golf?
14. Who are some of your favorite professional athletes?
Kobe Bryant, Jason Witten from the Dallas Cowboys, and Russell Martin of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
15. What are some of your favorite downtown San Jose locations to hang out on weekend?
The Camera 12 movie theatre and Fahrenheit Ultra Lounge.
16. If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?
I really want to go to Europe. I feel like the countries there are just so close to each other. It would be good just to see all the different places and cultures.
17. What do you plan on doing after graduation?
Chase the dream hopefully by playing professional golf. If that doesn’t work out, then I’ll go for a career in finance.
18. If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would they be?
Warren Buffet, Thomas Edison, and Eva Mendez.
19. What physical object do you consider your most prized possession?
I have a ring that my grandpa gave me which was given to him by his dad. It’s a family heirloom that’s been passed down a few generations.
20. Is there a particular tournament your looking forward to this season?
Chicago, we leave on Friday. I have family in Illinois so they’ll be out there. Chicago and WAC (Western Athletic Conference) are the tournaments I’m looking forward to.
This week’s Grill the Spartan was brought to you by The Grill On The Alley.
2008-09 Grill The Spartan Editions
June 13 - Jeff Leightman, Women's Soccer
August 20 - Lewis Sweeney, Men's Soccer
August 27 - Junior Burgos, Men's Soccer
September 3 - Ricky Dorrego, Men's Soccer
September 10 - Augie Argabright, Cross Country
September 24 - Silvana Dukic, Tennis
October 1 - Aaron Conrad, Men's Golf