San José State Licensing and Trademarks

Frequently Asked Questions

Why have a trademarks and licensing program?
San José State Athletics licensing program performs the following functions: 1) Promotes San José State in a consistent and uniform manner; 2) Protects all of the institutions trademarks, service marks, logos, etc. from unauthorized uses; 3) Protects the consumer from inferior products bearing institutional marks; and 4) Provides revenue to the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.

What qualifies as a trademark?
Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark.

Who must be licensed?
Any person, business, or organization desiring to use San Jose State trademarks or verbiage on any product, this includes premiums, promotions, and advertising.

What products can be licensed?
Students, alumni and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. Products will be considered and must be approved by the University's Licensing Director. No products will be licensed without the approval of the Licensing Director. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and maintain the integrity of the San José State marks.

I want to sell merchandise bearing University trademarks. Do I have to be a licensed vendor?
If you wish to sell merchandise bearing University trademarks you produce, you must be a licensed vendor. However, if you wish to sell merchandise bearing University trademarks and do not produce any of the merchandise you are selling, you do not have to be a licensed vendor. With the proper business permits, anyone can sell officially licensed merchandise as long as it is purchased from a vendor licensed to produce emblematic merchandise for the University.

What if you do not get a license?
Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University's Licensing Director would be grounds for the seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University's marks. It also could result in jail time and numerous fines if convicted.

Can an alumni or student group sell products using the University's marks as a fundraiser?
Before contacting local manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, check with the University's Licensing Director. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

Do products used for official University business have to be produced by a licensed vendor?
All products bearing a University mark must be produced by a licensed vendor. While products intended to be sold as a fund raiser for the University are not exempt from royalties, products intended for the internal use by University Departments, Clubs and Organization may be exempt from royalties. Contact the University's Licensing Coordinator if you have a question regarding the exemption status of product you wish to order.

What about using the University's name or logo on a web Site?
Every use of the University's trademarks requires permission from the University and the Licensing Director. The internet has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build web pages with the University's name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in these and all instances. For more information, contact the University's Licensing Director.

Who is responsible for the program?
The person responsible for the Trademark Licensing Program at San José State is:

Terrance Stratton
San José State Athletics
1393 South 7th Street
San Jose, CA 95112
Phone: 408.924.1768
Fax: 408.924.1291

How can you obtain a license application?
Anyone who wishes to obtain a license to produce merchandise must submit a license application. This application informs the University of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes, how the University is going to be represented, etc. Applications can be obtained by contacting:

Learfield Licensing Partners
8900 Keystone Crossing Suite 605
Indianapolis, IN 46240
Phone: (317) 669-0808
Fax: (317) 669-0810
Web Site: