The NCAA and the Division 1-A Athletics Directors' Association created the CHAMPS (Challenging Student-Athletes’ Minds for Personal Success)/Life Skills Program in 1994 in an effort to create a total development program for student-athletes. The CHAMPS/Life Skills Program supports the student development initiatives of its member institutions and enhances the quality of the student-athlete experience within the university setting.
The San Jose State CHAMPS/Life Skills Program will:
• Support efforts of every student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation
• Use athletics as preparation for success in life
• Meet the challenging needs of student-athletes
• Promote respect for diversity among student-athletes
• Enhance interpersonal relationships in the lives of student-athletes
• Assist student-athletes in building positive self-esteem
• Enable student-athletes to make meaningful contributions to their communities
• Promote ownership by the student-athletes of their academic, athletic, personal, and social responsibilities
• Enhance partnerships between the NCAA, member institutions, and their communities for the purpose of education
• Encourage the development of leadership skills
CHAMPS/Life Skills Program Commitment Statements
Commitment to Academic Excellence
San Jose State is committed to the academic success of its student-athletes. Student-athletes are provided the necessary tools and resources to ensure they reach their full potential and progress toward intellectual development and graduation.
Commitment to Athletic Excellence
San Jose State is committed to the overall development and athletic well-being of its student-athletes. Student-athletes are provided facilities, coaching staff, and support services that will enable them to excel in a broad athletics program. The fundamental principles of this program will be based on commitment to sportsmanship, equity, fair play, and integrity.
Commitment to Personal Development
San Jose State is committed to supporting the development of a well-balanced lifestyle for student-athletes, encouraging emotional well-being, personal growth, and decision-making skills. Student-athletes are provided assistance and support to overcome the unparalleled challenges they face on a daily basis.
Commitment to Career Development
San Jose State is committed to preparing student-athletes for life after intercollegiate athletics. Student-athletes are introduced to the job search process, provided networking opportunities, and assisted with job placement. San Jose State strives to develop individuals who will have rewarding careers and productive lives.
Commitment to Service
San Jose State is committed to engaging its student-athletes in service, promoting fellowship in the types of projects it undertakes, while teaching its student-athletes leadership and responsibility. Student-athletes are given opportunities to develop the foundation for a lifelong commitment to service.
For information regarding the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program at San Jose State, please contact: